Thursday, May 30, 2013

Food: Fit Two New Healthy Breakfasts into Menu Rotation, Oatmeal

Here is the second option I am considering aside from the healthier smoothie. This one was inspired to give my husband a healthier breakfast option to replace his instant oatmeal that he currently eats. While researching healthy oatmeal recipes, I have been educated as to the proper methods to preparing grains. Techniques that our grandmothers used, long forgotten to several of us and replaced by instant or quicker methods.

Go here for more information on the hows and whys of soaking grains to get maximum nutrients : how and why to soak grains. Plus she gives some tasty recipes! In short, soaking breaks down the components of the grains that are difficult to digest. Soaking with an acid medium (such as adding apple cider vinegar to the soaking water) will help active an enzyme called phytase. This enzyme helps to break down phytates (hard to digest...speed bumps to absorbing nutrients).

Other techniques are sprouting or souring. You can read more about those in her article. I am preparing oatmeal...so soaking is my method!

I am using one of her recipes to experiment with and see if my husband will enjoy this tasty, nutritional substitution! If so, this will then be incorporated into my weekly breakfast rotation on even days.

Here is the recipe link: Soaked Oatmeal Recipe

Here is the recipe:
Soaked Oatmeal (Gluten-Free Option)
Yield: 2 servings
Ingredients
    Step One: Soaking
  • 1 cup organic GF Rolled Oats (not quick cook)
  • 1/4 cup walnuts (optional)
  • 1 tsp raw apple cider vinegar (or fresh-squeezed lemon juice)
  • 1 tbsp rolled rye flakes (if *GF, see note below)
  • Pinch of Celtic sea salt
  • Step Two: Cooking
  • 1 1/4 cup plain almond milk (or raw whole milk)
  • 1/3 cup your favorite dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, cherries, blueberries or a combo)
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • Pure organic maple syrup to taste (about 1 1/2 to 2 tbsp)
Instructions
    Step One: Soaking Instructions
  1. Place above ingredients into a ceramic (or glass) mixing bowl or jar. Add enough warm filtered water to completely cover the mixture by 1-2 inches. Mix well to combine.
  2. Cover the bowl and place it in a warm area of your kitchen for 12-24 hours.
  3. Step Two: Cooking Instructions
  4. Once soaking time is completed, drain oat mixture in a fine-mesh strainer and gently rinse.
  5. Add drained oat mixture to a small saucepan. Add milk and bring to a gentle boil over medium-high heat. Immediately turn down heat and add dried fruit and cinnamon. Stir frequently and continue to simmer another couple of minutes or so, until oatmeal is cooked to desired consistency.
  6. Sweeten with maple syrup to taste. Ladle into individual serving bowls and top with a splash of milk.
Notes
* For my GF Friends: If you’re gluten-free and can tolerate oats, I recommend using certified GF Rolled Oats and combining them with ground buckwheat groats (not rye) for your soak. Buckwheat is actually a fruit, not a grain, and is completely gluten-free. It's often sold as buckwheat "cereal" (because it's slightly ground).
Substitutions: If you do not have access to rolled rye flakes, you can always use rye, whole spelt or whole wheat flour for your soak.
Alternate Serving Option: Follow above recipe, except do not include dried fruit, cinnamon and maple syrup. Instead, sweeten to taste using raw honey. Then, ladle cooked oatmeal into a bowl and top with a dollop of plain whole milk yogurt and fresh seasonal berries.

I will post the results next week!

***Update 6/5/2013***

I have been making the oatmeal now since Saturday. I have been getting the process under my belt, streamlining the best I can. It does take some getting used to, if you want it for breakfast everyday. Personally, I am switching between the Go-Green Smoothie and Oatmeal in the mornings. However, my husband eats it every morning. So I need to make sure there is a cooked serving ready! When I say "cooked", that means the oats have soaked overnight and I have cooked up the oats with almond milk and cinnamon! Adam enjoys it, and has started using mixed berries as a yummy addition. Much healthier than the instant stuff! I have enough ingredients to do one more batch (2 servings), which will get us to Saturday. The next experiment will be to do one large batch on Sunday and we will reheat servings through out the week!

***Update 6/11/2013***

It worked! I made the huge batch of oatmeal that will last us through the week! So far we have been reheating our individually packed breakfasts and the consistency has been just fine! I apparently was thin handed on the cinnamon, but that is easily fixed for the individual servings (just add more to taste) and I will be sure to up the amount for the large batch come Sunday!

2 comments:

  1. Recipe for the oatmeal? PLEEEEASE?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I included the link to the recipe in the post. But I went in just now and updated with the full recipe. You should see both the link and the copy of the recipe! Thanks!

      Delete