While searching for some beef recipes, I came across this one Paleo Skirt Steak with Balsamic Mushroom Reduction from HungryToes
I loved that this recipe uses skirt steak, cheaper cut of meat but tender and flavorful. I also appreciated that it uses balsamic vinegar instead of wine. I like my wine, don't get me wrong, but the hubby isn't a fan of it in recipes from a taste perspective. This recipe was quick, simple and had more flavor than I had anticipated! I could even see this being incorporated into a weekly meal plan, it was that easy!
- 1 lb skirt steak cut into 4 pieces (it usually comes in one long cut)
- 8-10 white button mushrooms, sliced
- 2-4 garlic cloves minced or finely chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tbsp ghee or coconut oil (I used coconut oil)
- 1 tsp dried chopped onion (I used powered onion because I didn't have dried chopped onion)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- In a small bowl mix chopped onion, oregano, and basil.
- Toss your steak into the dry mix and make sure all pieces are coated.
- Take a medium frying pan and add your ghee or oil.
- Set to medium high.
- Add minced garlic.
- Add steak.
- About 5 minutes in, add mushrooms, balsamic vinegar and water.
- Let simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Turn steak on other side and simmer another 5 minutes.
- At this point, the sauce should be thickening, almost to the point that there is no liquid. This is when you know it's ready to eat.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve warm.