Monday, July 22, 2013

Food: Paleo Skirt Steak with Balsamic Mushroom Reduction

I have been trying to break outside the habit of cooking primarily chicken for my meals. Its easy and cheap, but to stick with primarily 1 protein in the diet really limits the nutrient spectrum.

While searching for some beef recipes, I came across this one Paleo Skirt Steak with Balsamic Mushroom Reduction from HungryToes

I loved that this recipe uses skirt steak, cheaper cut of meat but tender and flavorful. I also appreciated that it uses balsamic vinegar instead of wine. I like my wine, don't get me wrong, but the hubby isn't a fan of it in recipes from a taste perspective. This recipe was quick, simple and had more flavor than I had anticipated! I could even see this being incorporated into a weekly meal plan, it was that easy!

 Ingredients:
  • 1 lb skirt steak cut into 4 pieces (it usually comes in one long cut)
  • 8-10 white button mushrooms, sliced
  • 2-4 garlic cloves minced or finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 Tbsp ghee or coconut oil (I used coconut oil)
  • 1 tsp dried chopped onion (I used powered onion because I didn't have dried chopped onion)
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp dried basil

Directions:
  1. In a small bowl mix chopped onion, oregano, and basil.
  2. Toss your steak into the dry mix and make sure all pieces are coated.
  3. Take a medium frying pan and add your ghee or oil.
  4. Set to medium high.
  5. Add minced garlic.
  6. Add steak.
  7. About 5 minutes in, add mushrooms, balsamic vinegar and water.
  8. Let simmer for another 5 minutes.
  9. Turn steak on other side and simmer another 5 minutes.
  10. At this point, the sauce should be thickening, almost to the point that there is no liquid. This is when you know it's ready to eat.
  11. Remove from heat.
  12. Serve warm.



No comments:

Post a Comment