Monday, July 22, 2013

Food: Cauliflower Rice

I had so much success with the Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce and Shrimp Chowder that I wanted to push the limits of cauliflower further! HungryToes posted a recipe on her website for Cauliflower Rice! I love this idea!

In case you start to think that cauliflower is white and therefore has no real nutritional value (based on some weight loss diet schemes saying stay away from white stuff like rice, potato, etc), cauliflower helps with digestion with its fiber content, is a strong antioxidant, and a source for omega 3-fatty acids! Great! It has value! Now onward to the recipe!

I paired this with Slow Cooker Brown Sugar & Garlic Chicken. Both recipes I enjoyed, just not together! The chicken is more of the consistency of pulled pork. It would be perfect in a bun or a wrap!

The "rice" came out great! It even reheated well for lunch left-overs! I will be testing it with more of a stir-fry where I can see better how it absorbs flavors from a sauce.

Ingredients:
  • 1 head of cauliflower cut in to florets
  • 3-4 Cloves Garlic minced
  • 1/2 Yellow Onion chopped
  • Sea Salt to taste
  • Oil for cooking (I used coconut oil for this one)
Directions:
  1. Take your cauliflower and finely chop it. I used a food processor. Another option is to use a grater.
  2. Combine cauliflower, garlic, onion and salt in a bowl and mix together
  3. Heat oil in a saucepan on Med High
  4. Add cauliflower mixture
  5. Stir regularly until you see the cauliflower "fluff" up and change color. This will be subtle so keep your eyes on it. It should take about 7-8 minutes
  6. Serve warm
 

No comments:

Post a Comment