Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Food: No Dairy Shrimp Chowder

I thought it was going to be difficult to balance my husband's food needs, my own needs, and still have something tasty for the kids to want to eat! I found this recipe on Mommypotamus, who gives credit to Lauren at Empowered Sustenance, and I was intrigued. It was healthy! It was creamy! It fit into my husband's meal guidelines for calories/carbs/fat/protein. I was excited to have yet another recipe that utilized the bone broth I had just made AND it was fun with some unexpected ingredients!

I had yet to venture into the realm of coconut milk. This recipe uses it! That was a bonus. But more so, it was the fact that the base of the chowder was cauliflower and zucchini puree! Now THAT is a challenge to win past my husband!

I gathered up the ingredients, followed the instructions...total success! Not only did my husband love it, saying he could eat the whole pot, but my 2 year old liked it as well! Sweet! Its thick, creamy, a tad spicy, and the amount of shrimp the recipe calls for gives each bite shrimpy goodness! I will definitely be putting this into my menu rotation, along with experimenting with other seafood in substitution of or partnering with the shrimp!

Here is the link to the recipe: Dairy Free Shrimp Chowder

Here is the recipe:

Dairy Free Shrimp Chowder (GAPS)

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 2 medium zucchini, peeled and cut into large chunks
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth (I used the beef bone broth I made)
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 2 Tbs. fat of choice: lard, coconut oil, or butter if dairy is okay (I used butter)
  • 12 oz fully cooked shrimp 
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
 Directions:
  1. Place the cauliflower florets, zucchini, and broth in the slow cooker. Cook on high for about 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours until the cauliflower is very tender. (You can also steam the veggies until tender instead of using a slow cooker and just add the broth in the next step).
  2. Carefully pour the vegetables and liquid into a blender. Puree with the coconut milk, Old Bay, dijon, lemon juice, and fat. If the soup is too thick, add a bit more broth or coconut milk.
  3. Chop the shrimp into small chunks. Place the shrimp and pureed soup base into the slow cooker or a pot on the stove and warm through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Makes about 5-6 cups, and the recipe is easily doubled.

No comments:

Post a Comment