Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Food: Lemon SARDINE Quinoa

Yes, you read that correctly, SARDINES. I found a recipe on EatingWell.com that started my new sardine journey. When I was little, my grandmother and I used to eat sardines in mustard sauce on saltine crackers with a cup of sugar/milk/coffee. It was awesome. But sardines are not just a snack food and not just for saltine crackers.
Here is the first recipe that I tried. I am putting a link here to the original recipe. But I changed quite a bit so I am listing my version separately. Plus! This recipe is actually 2 recipes in 1 in my opinion! You can stop at step# 4 and have some fantastically flavored quinoa…or keep going and have a meal that is salty, light, and a great source of protein and omega -3!
Lemon Sardine Quinoa
Ingredients:
·         1 cup uncooked quinoa
·         2 cups chicken broth (I used my chicken bone broth)
·         2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
·         2 tbsp lemon juice (1 whole lemon freshly squeezed)
·         ½ tsp ground pepper
·         ¼ tsp salt
·         1 -  3 to 4 ounce can of sardines in water
·         ½ of a 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
·         2 cloves of minced garlic

Directions:
1.       Prepare quinoa using the chicken broth as per the package directions. I put the chicken broth and quinoa into a pot. Brought it up to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and check in 15-20 minutes. Liquid should be absorbed.
2.       Whisk lemon juice, 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper in a small bowl.
3.       Put 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil in a pan with the minced garlic. Heat until fragrant less than a minute.
4.       Add the lemon/oil mixture and the garlic/oil mixture to the cooked quinoa
5.       TASTE THAT BAD BOY! YOU COULD TOTALLY STOP HERE BECAUSE ITS SO FREAKING AMAZING! But we are on a sardine journey, remember, so keep going…it’s worth it!
6.       Add tomato sauce and sardines (water drained) to the pan. Mix, the sardines should fall apart in the pan creating chunks or you can flake before adding to the pan. Let this heat through, a minute or two.
7.       Add tomato sauce/sardines to the quinoa and mix thoroughly
You can add Parmesan cheese on top if you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment