Tuesday, June 25, 2013

My Favorite Stuff: Canning Jars

After making my first batch of bone broth, I realized that I was going to need more storage containers…a lot more. Both for storing in the refrigerator and for freezing. Typically, I use some version of Tupperware. A lot of opinions have been traveling around about plastics…which ones are safe…under what conditions. Well, I will let the world sort that out. I decided to invest in glass. Canning jars specifically.
·         Wide mouths for easy access with measuring or dinner spoon
·         Glass, so no leaching concerns into food
·         They now make ones that can be frozen
·         They can be microwaved, yes…sans the ring and seal
·         They can be used to actually can foods! Brilliant!
·         Glass is preferred when using essential oils for health/beauty products
For my storage needs , I purchased the following:
4 ounce wide mouth canning jars – these are perfect for storing the golden flax seed and Spirulina that I use for Elora’s smoothies everyday,  and to store the flour I use for preparing Adam’s oatmeal. Since I purchase in smaller quantities for these ingredients, they are the perfect size!
8 ounce wide mouth canning jars – these are great for storing serving sized portions in the refrigerator or the freezer
Pint and a 1/2 wide mouth canning jars – I love these to be able to freeze stuff like chicken broth and beef broth. Little more capacity, but not obnoxious and not serving sized.
Quart size wide mouth canning jars – These are for high capacity storage. These cannot go into the freezer, but for bulk dry goods and broth that will be used for a higher serving recipe these work great

So far, I have stored bone broth both in the freezer and in the refrigerator using these. I froze the beef and mushroom stew in single serving portions. This is fabulous because I just grab it out of the freezer as I walk out the door to work. It doesn’t leak in my bag, like I experienced with the Tupperware so many times. And I can throw it in the microwave to heat up. They are also a conversation starter, because how often to you see someone throwing a canning jar into the microwave for lunch?! Not only have they started conversations of “what are you doing”…but, ”what are you eating”? Total opportunity to share the love and some recipes to boot!

No comments:

Post a Comment