Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Food: Poached Chicken and Chicken Bone Broth

I wanted to share a recipe of Chinese Poached Chicken. This is a super easy process that returns crazy, juicy chicken meat. My father introduced me to this method and read it in the The Frugal Gourmet by Jeff Smith. After pulling off the meat, I use the bones to make a bone broth. Those instructions are following the Poached Chicken recipe.

Poached Chicken
Ingredients:
Water
1 whole chicken (3lbs)

Directions:
Fill a 12 quart kettle almost full of water and bring it to a boil.
Place 1 whole chicken, about 3 pounds, in the boiling water.
The water will stop boiling in just a moment or so. Using wooden spoons so that you do not tear the skin, remove the chicken from the water and place it on a tray.
Cover the pot and bring the water back to a boil.
Put the chicken back into the pot, cover and turn off the heat.
Leave the chicken in the pot and the pot on the burner, but you will need no more heat. The water will be hot enough to cook the bird. After 1 hour the chicken is done. Remove and cool and debone it. Some of the poaching water can be used to cover the meat or use the meat for other chicken dishes that calls for cooked chicken.

Bone Broth
After pulling the meat off, I then put the bones back into the water. I brought the water back up to a boil,  brought back down to a simmer and covered. I let it simmer for 3 days to create a bone broth from chicken. Any recipe that calls for chicken broth I will use this instead. I can also use it to sub out water when making rice or quinoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment